March 1, 2011

Tofu Mushroom Alfredo Pasta

So today we decided to kind of whip up whatever I had in my fridge. I had some tofu I hadn't used, so I looked up how to cook tofu, and I never knew you just really need olive oil and a pan to cook it. And here's the turnout:

The yellow parts aren't oil; it's melted mozzarella cheese!
DISH tofu mushroom alfredo pasta

INGREDIENTS
tofu
olive oil
mushrooms
mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper
oregano leaves
garlic powder
whole wheat penne
onion
light sour cream
lettuce

HOW TO
1) Cut up tofu in cubes and mushrooms into slices and place onto olive oiled pan. Let that cook under medium heat for about 15 minutes, turning every once in a while. Sprinkle garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano, and mozzarella cheese; Mix.
2) In another pan, saute some chopped onions in olive oil and then add in some light sour cream.
3) Boil some pasta until tender, drain, and then put back into pot.
4) Put alfredo sauce into the pot with pasta and add some oregano and salt onto penne.
5) Place pasta on top of some lettuce leaves. Top pasta with tofu and mushroom mixture along with the sour creamed onions.

DANKNESS FACTOR 7/10

COMMENTS/TIPS
     It turned out pretty good. The tofu, cheese, and mushroom was very flavorful on top of the alfredo penne. The onion and sour cream mixture turned out just the way I wanted it; sweet with a nice sour creamy touch to it. I just love the oregano spice, so it really complimented this dish well. I'm thinking of cooking the tofu in bread crumbs next time to add a nice crunchy texture to it, but I love tofu in any form, even plain.
     I am not the biggest tofu fan; I just don't like the mushy consistency and the blandness of it but having it with alfredo pasta and caramelized onions was a great way to mask them, and who doesn't love alfredo...ahh it's the best. But you end up paying up for it in calories, but who cares. The onions were not completely caramelized so they still had a little crunch to them which made them a little easier to eat. I think that we put caramelized onions on everything now and for a good reason...they are delicious!    

No comments:

Post a Comment