March 6, 2011

Black Bean Burger

We're running very low on food supplies, so once again I used what I had lying around in the fridge to cook tonight's meal. I sort of kind of followed a recipe, but had to work around the things we didn't and did have.

DISH Vegetarian Black Bean Burger

INGREDIENTS
2 cups black beans
1 cut up tomato
1 teaspoon garlic powder
chopped onions
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup parsley
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
oregano
salt
mozzarella cheese
vodka sauce
light sour cream
burger buns
any desired burger condiments

HOW TO
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) In a bowl, mix together chopped up carrots, tomato, and onion. Add in beans, garlic powder, parsley, oats, salt and oregano. Mix well. (the original recipe called for a food processor, which we do not have)
3) Form into patties and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle cheese on top, along with some sour cream and vodka sauce.
4) Bake for 10 minutes; serve on buns and top with ketchup, mustard, etc.

DANKNESS FACTOR 6.5/10

COMMENTS/TIPS
     Meh, I wasn't the biggest fan of how they turned out. There's just so many things I could have done to make it better: sauteed the onions before putting it the mixture, add less parsley. I felt it lacked that explosive delicious flavor; I did just whip up/experiment with what I had, but something was missing. Or maybe it was the overwhelming taste of the onions I didn't pre-cook. It was still tasteful and was a decent meal, but I wanted something more. Sadly we didn't have burger buns in the house so we toasted some whole wheat bread and put the burgers in them and ate it like a sandwich. All in all, an alright dish.
     Keiko made these out of the remnants of food that she had, so my expectations were slightly lowered, but this dish actually came out pretty good. They were good by themselves with a fork and even better in between bread. They had good texture, moist and soft with carrots and onions for crunch. The sour cream was a nice addition that really helped the taste and you couldn't even tell that there was oats in it! Healthy, tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment